Saturday, March 5, 2011

There's 2 of them

Here we are 6 weeks after Nate's birth and things have settled into a nice, new 'normal'.  There's something completely surreal about bringing a baby home from the hospital; all of a sudden you're bringing an entire new person into your home and your family.  Yesterday there were three of us, today there's four.  Oddly, the adjustment has been pretty uneventful.  We'd wondered how Jack was going to handle having to share the spotlight, but the kid has been fascinated by his little brother and he's been fine with mom splitting her attention between the 2 boys.  One thing's definite: it's been much easier to go from 1 kid to 2 than it was to go from 0 to 1.  This time around it feels like we've hit the ground running; my recovery was much faster and the boys and I fell into a routine pretty quickly.  That's not to say that we haven't had our bumps in the road... I cringe when I have to get everyone into the car, and of course I could have cried when Nate dropped one of his nighttime feedings a week ago - the weeks since he was born I was lucky to even get 3 hours of sleep at a time.  Even in the hospital Nate kept me up almost all night, and when he started sleeping he'd still decide that when he got up to eat he'd prefer to stay up for an hour or two.  As you can imagine by the end of this I was in something of a haze; in fact I'm still trying to remember where I put my credit card!

It's amazing to look back at when Jack was a newborn and compare it to now, because it's a night and day difference.  We both felt much more confident and prepared, and so it doesn't feel like we've had to put our whole lives on hold since we have a new baby.  We're eating dinner as a family every night, we're out and about and doing stuff, and I even get a shower every day. 

So to summarize, 2 really does seem to be better than 1 - at least when you're lucky enough to have kids as awesome as Jack and Nate!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I love reading about all of this! I'm so glad you guys are doing SO great with both little ones. Talk about an amazing family. I LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete